1. There are 1,000 lighthouses in the U.S.
2. Over 368,000 men and women serve in the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard; the Marine Corps has over 200,000 active duty members.
3. Over 13 million recreational boats ply
the waters of the U.S. yearly.
4. Merchant Marines number over 100,000.
5. More than 19 million passengers
worldwide booked cruises in 2011.
6. Over 239 Parrothead Chapters in U.S., Canada,
and Australia celebrate the sea, pirates, and Jimmy Buffett music.
7. Marinas in U.S. top out at over 60,000.
8. There are over 212 nautical museums
in the U.S. and 15 pirate museums.
9. Over 1,200 shipwrecks lie off the coast of the U.S.
and the Great Lakes.
10. The U.S. Coast Guard saved
over 3,800 lives in 2012.
11. There are 2,500 active Navy Seals in the United States.
12. There are over two million divers in the United States.
No wonder with all those shipwrecks to explore.
13. Over 25 million people visit the Caribbean each year.
14. You are never more than 80 miles from the sea in Florida.
15. Over 3,436 acts of piracy worldwide have been
reported in the past ten years according to the
International Maritime Organization.